Friday, November 25, 2011

Thankful that fishing brings me joy




Steve McKenna of Cranston, RI with the 44 pound striped bass he caught and released in the surf at Matunuck. Fishing along RI coastal shores has been good this month. As Steve said, “Fishing has been really great and nobody is fishing!!!”



Thankful that fishing brings me joy


I am very thankful to be able to fish as often as I do and be able to share in the joy by taking people fishing and writing about it. It is a gift that humbles me this holiday season and throughout the year. Allow me to share ten reasons why fishing brings me… and so many other anglers… joy.
1. When the sun rises and I am on the water it warms my soul no matter if it is hot or cold outside and this brings me great joy.
2. And, when the sun sets it brings me joy too as I know God’s work is done for the day and hope he will bring a good fish bite for the night.
3. It brings me joy when I cast my lure and a striped bass hits it with all the force of nature.
4. Fishing brings me joy when I am trolling and I hear the rapid click, click, click of my reel and know a fish is on.
5. When I see the water, when I step on a dock or on my vessel, my heart is filled with joy.
6. I see the schools of bait, the water boiling with bluefish, the seals and whales and they all bring me great joy.
7. I must admit, I am hooked on the adrenalin rush, my heart beats fast and I am filled with joy when I realize a fish is near and I may catch it.
8. When I fillet my catch I am filled with respect for nature and the fish I caught. I am thankful to God for the food he has brought my way and filled with joy that I am going home with fish in the cooler.
9. When I take pictures of people who have caught fish on my boat they are always smiling. This brings me great joy. My office walls are filled with these trophies.
10. I am an advocate for the sea, the Bay, boating and fishing all for a very selfish reason. I do not want anyone to steal my joy.
Happy Thanksgiving.




Striped bass regulations for 2012 may stay the same
So far the Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commission (ASMFC) has not voted to reduce and further regulate striped bass for 2012. Rick Bellavance, president of the Rhode Island Party & Charter Boat Association and an ASMFC delegate at last month’s meeting said, “No change in striped bass regulations so far for this year. The positive “Young of the Year” report from Virginia and data from other states seems to have influenced policy makers to keep things status quo for now.”



RISAA to host author Michael Tougias at November 28 seminar
Michael Tougias, noted lecturer and author of 19 books, will be the guest speaker at the November 28th Rhode Island Saltwater Anglers Association (RISAA) meeting. He is the author of such books as Fatal Forecast, The Finest Hours and now his latest book, Overboard! which tells of harrowing experiences at sea with the yachts Almeisan and At Ease. The meeting will be held at the West Valley Inn, West Warwick, RI at 7:00 p.m. Non-members are requested to make a $10 donation to the RISAA Marine Fisheries College Scholarship Fund. RISAA members attend free. Optional dinner available between 5:30 p.m. and 6:30 p.m. for an additional cost.



Where’s the bite
Tautog.
Neil Hayes, a resident of North Kingstown and an associate of Quaker Lane Outfitters in North Kingstown, RI said, “Tautog fishing has been good off Point Judith and Jamestown but fish have left the Bay for the most part. We are hoping for good holiday fishing this week as the weather improves and many anglers have the tradition of tautog fishing on Thanksgiving morning and the long weekend.” Hayes said, “Weather permitting, customers usually fish through the first week of December.” Ken Ferrara of Ray’s Bait & Tackle, Warwick, RI said, “The Tautog are biting on the humps off Newport and Brenton Reef, at Kettlebottom off Jamestown and Whale Rock. In the Bay the Coddington Cove jetty in Middletown is working well for anglers.” Ken continued to say, “Anglers fishing this time of year expect wind and cold, there is always a way to fish out of the wind.”
Striped bass. Shore anglers have had it tough this year, but now striped bass fishing from shore has been very good. Steve McKenna from Cranston, RI, a noted shore angler and an associate at Quaker Lane Outfitters said, “Fishing for bass and blues remains excellent in the surf down around the south shore of Rhode Island. November has been the best month so far of just a so so season. I have over 100 bass this month. The best being a 44 pound fish caught on November 1 in the surf at Matunuck. The big bass hit one of my rigged 9 inch black Slug- gos. Fishing has been really great and nobody is fishing!!!” Steve caught, weighed and released the 44 pound bass in matter of minutes while in the water. Large bass tend to be egg bearing females, so it is always good to practice catch and release as Steve does.
Bluefish. Stephen Katkowski reports on the RISAA blog Sunday, “Fished Charlestown (east beach) to Misquamicut from 7 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. SW wind about 20 to 25 or more with a four to five foot wave rolling on the beach. 12 blues to 10 lbs. or so between two guys, all on gibbs polaris poppers, blue and white. Had to get the popper past the breakers to have a shot at fish...needless to say we used heavy gear!! Arms are tired but a great day overall. Hope this continues for a few more trips.”














No comments:

Post a Comment